How will nail disorders affect my quality of life?

Nail disorders, especially on toes, can affect your quality of life by limiting your ability to move without pain. Ingrown toenails can cause pain and pressure and treatment of them can limit your ability to wear closed toe shoes. If you are looking to be active but feel limited by pain, talk to your doctor about swimming and other exercises that do not require shoes or putting excessive pressure on your toes. However, remember to wear sandals if you are going to be in a public pool or locker room.

Nail disorders can also be unsightly and cause embarrassment. Treatment is slow to work, and steps can often be taken to reduce the appearance of the affected nail. Talk to your doctor about the use of bandages to cover warts or tumors that may push up the nail. Also, ask about the use of nail polish to hide discoloration.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

What can cause blood under my toenail?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Blood underneath your toenail is referred to as subungual hematoma. Subungual hematoma is caused...
What other illnesses are linked to nail disorders?
Nail disorders can be a telltale sign of how your body is working. Many illnesses are linked to chan...
How Can I Help Prevent Fungal Nail Infections?
What Are Some Manicure Safety Tips?
What Are Some Manicure Safety Tips?