How does my hygiene affect nail disorders?

Experts say that good hygiene, which includes keeping your nails clean and dry, is one of the most important things you can do to keep nail conditions at bay. Bacteria and fungus love to make their home in moist, warm environments. Using an anti-fungal powder on your feet may also help.

Dermatologists also recommend keeping your nails well trimmed (straight across and slightly round in the center for fingernails, and straight across for toes) and avoiding biting or picking at them to keep them strong and resistant to infections or damage.

Proper nail hygiene can affect nail disorders by playing a big part in preventing and curing certain nail disorders. One of the most important hygiene habits is keeping your nails short. Trim nails often and make sure to cut toenails straight across to prevent the nail from growing into the skin and reducing the likelihood of trauma to the nail. Keep fingernails short and filed to prevent snags and tears that can let in infection. When walking in public areas like pools or locker rooms, never go barefoot.

Continue Learning about Nail Disorders

If my nails change, what should I do?
Not every change in your nails indicates a serious medical condition. But if you do notice changes i...
What can cause blood under my toenail?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Blood underneath your toenail is referred to as subungual hematoma. Subungual hematoma is caused...
The Ugly Side of Manicures
The Ugly Side of Manicures
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?