What is high myopia?

High myopia is a degenerative eye condition that leads to chronic eye disorders. People with a high degree of myopia have difficulty focusing on objects; objects that are located farther away appear blurry or unreadable. High myopia develops in eyes that are elongated instead of circular like a ball. Abnormal elongation of the eyes stretches the retina and other parts of the eye responsible for receiving light and focusing it on the retina. There's an increased risk for retinal tears and detachment with high myopia, which can lead to blindness.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...
What is the rate of incidence of myopia?
Myopia is a common vision impairment. It is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the Unite...
What type of doctor should I see to address youth onset myopia?
There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opt...
What is the rate of incidence of youth onset myopia?
The rate of occurrence of myopia in general (not just youth onset) has been increasing. In the past ...