What increases my risk for high myopia?

You have an increased risk for a higher degree of myopia if one or both parents have mid- to high-myopia. Severe elongation of the eyes increases the risk for high myopia and vision loss. Your risk for degenerative eye conditions like glaucoma and cataracts also increases without early and regular treatment for your high myopia.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What type of doctor should I see to address youth onset myopia?
There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opt...
What is youth onset myopia?
Myopia is the medical term for nearsightedness. Youth onset means that the nearsightedness started d...
What causes blurry vision while driving at night?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
Blurred vision when driving at night indicates that you have probably developed some myopia (nea...
What is the rate of incidence of youth onset myopia?
The rate of occurrence of myopia in general (not just youth onset) has been increasing. In the past ...