What causes myopia?

All types of myopia, regardless of the age it starts, cause blurry vision for things far away. The size and shape of your eye changes how light is refracted or reflected on the back of your eye. In myopia, your eyeball may be too big, or your cornea (the transparent surface of the eye) may be too curved for the light to reflect correctly. Changes in the size or shape of your eye generally occur during development prior to birth or in growth periods. Myopia tends to run in families.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What is curvature myopia?
Curvature myopia is a form of nearsightedness. People that are nearsighted can see objects that are ...
What is the rate of incidence of youth onset myopia?
The rate of occurrence of myopia in general (not just youth onset) has been increasing. In the past ...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my high myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your high myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare...
What is myopia?
If you're able to see objects up close better than those that are far away, you may be nearsighted, ...