What causes high myopia?

High myopia develops in eyes that are elongated instead of circular like a ball. Severe elongation of the eyeball causes higher degrees of myopia. As the eyeball lengthens, it stretches the retina tissue at the back of the eye. The exact cause for abnormal growth is unknown. Myopia, in general, is highly hereditary and can be affected by environmental influences including frequent "up-close " reading or computer work. Symptoms of high myopia usually begin in children age eight and older.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What is curvature myopia?
Curvature myopia is a form of nearsightedness. People that are nearsighted can see objects that are ...
What is low myopia?
Low myopia is a mild form of nearsightedness. Myopia can be referred to in degrees of severity: low,...
What is the rate of incidence of myopia?
Myopia is a common vision impairment. It is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the Unite...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...