What causes high myopia?

High myopia develops in eyes that are elongated instead of circular like a ball. Severe elongation of the eyeball causes higher degrees of myopia. As the eyeball lengthens, it stretches the retina tissue at the back of the eye. The exact cause for abnormal growth is unknown. Myopia, in general, is highly hereditary and can be affected by environmental influences including frequent "up-close " reading or computer work. Symptoms of high myopia usually begin in children age eight and older.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Is late adult onset myopia serious?
Late adult onset myopia should be taken seriously because of potential problems. An inability to see...
What type of doctor should I see to address youth onset myopia?
There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opt...
How common is high myopia?
High myopia is a common cause of blindness. Rate of incidence varies between ethnic groups, with a h...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...