What are the treatment options for low myopia?

Low myopia can be treated with prescription glasses and contacts or with refractive surgery. Prescription eye glasses and contacts use corrective lens to counteract the refraction error by focusing incoming light onto the retina. Refractive surgery uses lasers to cut and reshape an abnormally curved cornea or lens. Surgery should not be used to treat low myopia in children because the eyes continue to develop and grow until about the age of 20. Refractive surgery does pose some risks including vision loss, scarring of the cornea, infection, and difficulty with night vision.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
What causes blurry vision while driving at night?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
Blurred vision when driving at night indicates that you have probably developed some myopia (nea...
Is late adult onset myopia serious?
Late adult onset myopia should be taken seriously because of potential problems. An inability to see...
What is youth onset myopia?
Myopia is the medical term for nearsightedness. Youth onset means that the nearsightedness started d...