What are the symptoms of high myopia?

High myopia is a degree of myopia that results in severe nearsightedness. Symptoms include decreased long-distance vision, headaches, and sensitivity to light.

Because high myopia is a degenerative eye disorder, the risk for retinal tearing and detachment is high. If you have one or more of the following symptoms, see a doctor immediately.

• Flashing lights
  • Dozens of floaters
  • Sudden temporary vision loss

Unfortunately, there is no cure for high myopia; however, symptoms can be treated with prescription glasses, contacts, and refractive surgery.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Does late adult onset myopia affect adults differently than children?
Myopia can affect anyone at any age. However, diagnosis of late adult onset myopia indicates that th...
What is myopia?
Curvature myopia affects long-distance vision. People with curvature myopia have a cornea that is cu...
Is myopia serious?
Myopia should not be ignored as it can be serious. Myopia is treatable, so talking to your doctor ca...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...