How do I prepare to see my doctor about my high myopia?

To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your high myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare a list of your symptoms including when symptoms began and how they have changed since your last eye doctor appointment. Also mention any prescription medication you are taking. If you currently wear prescription glasses or contact, bring them with you. Your doctor will use magnifying tools to exam the cornea, lens, retina macula, and the back wall of each eye. They may also dilate your eyes to make it easier to see any scaring, openings, or tears within the eyes.

Because your eyes may be extra-sensitive to light after the exam, you may want to bring a family member or friend or arrange for transportation after the examination.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Are there different types of myopia?
Yes, there are different types of myopia. Myopia is a broad term or diagnosis used to cover vision p...
How common is low myopia in the general population?
Low myopia is a common type of refractive error that affects children and adults. The rate of incide...
What is the rate of incidence of late adult onset myopia?
Late adult onset myopia is diagnosed in people that are over 40 years of age. It is estimated that 2...
What is the rate of incidence of youth onset myopia?
The rate of occurrence of myopia in general (not just youth onset) has been increasing. In the past ...