Is youth onset myopia serious?

Youth onset myopia is not extremely serious, but should definitely be treated. An inability to see things clearly at a distance can affect your safety, as well as your ability to participate in activities you enjoy. If left untreated, youth onset myopia can get worse. If your myopia is very serious, you have an increased risk of glaucoma. Another risk of myopia, depending on the source of your problem, is the potential for having a detached retina, which is also a serious condition.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What is high myopia?
High myopia is a degenerative eye condition that leads to chronic eye disorders. People with a high ...
What is the rate of incidence of early adult-onset myopia?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the United States. Ear...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my high myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your high myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare...
How common is low myopia in the general population?
Low myopia is a common type of refractive error that affects children and adults. The rate of incide...