How is low myopia diagnosed?

Low myopia is often diagnosed in childhood as nearsighted symptoms begin to become more obvious. Because younger children often do not know they are nearsighted, routine screening and eye exams are important for diagnosing and treating low myopia. During an eye examination, the doctor will use several tests to measure visual acuity (focusing power), ocular health, depth perception, and peripheral vision. To access refraction errors, they will often dilate the eyes. Dilating the eyes helps the doctor to see inside the eye. After careful review of your medical history, symptoms, and examination results, your doctor will be able to diagnose the degree of myopia in each eye. Low myopia ranges from 0.0 to 6.0D on the dioptre (units of measure that represent an eye's ability to focus) scale.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Is myopia serious?
Myopia should not be ignored as it can be serious. Myopia is treatable, so talking to your doctor ca...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...
What is youth onset myopia?
Myopia is the medical term for nearsightedness. Youth onset means that the nearsightedness started d...
What causes blurry vision while driving at night?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
Blurred vision when driving at night indicates that you have probably developed some myopia (nea...