How is high myopia diagnosed?

High myopia is often first diagnosed in childhood, when vision problems begin to develop. During the examination, the doctor uses tests to measure the ocular health, depth perception, and refraction ability (visual acuity test). Eye movement coordination is also tested. Dilating the eyes enables doctors to take a closer look inside the eyes. Then, using a measurement scale based on dioptres (units of measure that represent an eye's ability to focus), the doctor will determine the degree of myopia that is present. A rating of -6.0D or more is symptomatic of high myopia.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Is early adult-onset myopia serious?
Early adult-onset myopia is mildly serious and should be treated. An inability to see things clearly...
What is low myopia?
Low myopia is a mild form of nearsightedness. Myopia can be referred to in degrees of severity: low,...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
What is the rate of incidence of early adult-onset myopia?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the United States. Ear...