How does illness affect high myopia?

High myopia is a severe degree of myopia, or nearsightedness that worsens over time. Illness that affects ocular health can cause myopia to develop or worsen.

For example, sudden degenerative myopia caused by uncontrolled diabetes is known as pseudomyopia. Eye diseases like glaucoma and cataract can also develop can complicate the overall health and focusing ability of myopic eyes.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Is early adult-onset myopia related to astigmatism?
Astigmatism is similar to myopia. It is another vision impairment that affects your ability to see t...
What is myopia?
If you're able to see objects up close better than those that are far away, you may be nearsighted, ...
Is myopia serious?
Myopia should not be ignored as it can be serious. Myopia is treatable, so talking to your doctor ca...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my high myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your high myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare...