What should I know to care for someone with high myopia?

When caring for someone with high myopia it's important to remember that high myopia is serious eye disorder that affects their ability to see objects at a distance.

Although corrective eye glasses and contacts can help them to focus on objects, their vision will gradually worsen. Because high myopia is a degenerative eye disorders, damage to the retina and other parts of the eyes is common. Surgery is often needed to repair retinal openings and tears as they develop. Symptoms of light sensitivity and headaches are also common. Encourage them to protect their eyes by wearing sunglasses and eating foods rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene. Discourage them from smoking, wearing other people's prescription glasses, and working under poor lighting.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

How do I prepare to see my doctor about my high myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your high myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare...
Is early adult-onset myopia serious?
Early adult-onset myopia is mildly serious and should be treated. An inability to see things clearly...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
What is the rate of incidence of myopia?
Myopia is a common vision impairment. It is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the Unite...