What type of doctor should I see to address youth onset myopia?

There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opticians. In the case of diagnosis, you may see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who specializes in vision diagnosis and treatment. An optometrist conducts eye tests, diagnoses vision impairments and prescribes glasses/contacts. Either of these doctors can diagnosis youth onset myopia, although only an ophthalmologist can perform surgery. Opticians assemble and sell glasses, and sometimes contacts, according to a doctor's prescription.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

What is late adult onset myopia?
Myopia is the medical term for nearsightedness. Late adult onset means that the nearsightedness star...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...
What is myopia?
If you're able to see objects up close better than those that are far away, you may be nearsighted, ...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my high myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your high myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare...