Can low myopia cause blindness?

Low myopia is a mild form of nearsightedness. Although having this type of refractive error does increase the risk for retinal detachment later in life, the risk is small.

Early diagnosis and treatment can help to prevent other more serious eye conditions such as retinal detachment. If symptoms of retinal detachment do develop, it's important to seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of retinal detachment include seeing showers of floaters, flashes of light, and temporary vision loss.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Is late adult onset myopia serious?
Late adult onset myopia should be taken seriously because of potential problems. An inability to see...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
What type of doctor should I see to address youth onset myopia?
There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opt...
What is the rate of incidence of early adult-onset myopia?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the United States. Ear...