Can low myopia be prevented?

Low myopia is a type of refractive error that can be present at birth or develop later in life. Because the exact cause for this type of refractive error is unknown, preventing low myopia is difficult. Factors that increase the risk for myopia developing include:

• Family history of myopia
  • One or both parents have myopia
  • Neonatal conditions
  • Frequent nearsighted work

Because low myopia is often first diagnosed in childhood, early treatment can help to minimize the effect of low myopia symptoms on classroom performance. Preventing low myopia symptoms in adults is difficult. Using proper lighting, eating foods rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, and wearing sunglasses can help lower the risk for myopia.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...
What is low myopia?
Low myopia is a mild form of nearsightedness. Myopia can be referred to in degrees of severity: low,...
What is curvature myopia?
Curvature myopia is a form of nearsightedness. People that are nearsighted can see objects that are ...
What is the rate of incidence of late adult onset myopia?
Late adult onset myopia is diagnosed in people that are over 40 years of age. It is estimated that 2...