Are there alternative treatments for high myopia?

High myopia is a serious degenerative eye condition that is due to elongation of the eye. In most cases, corrective eye glass, contacts, and refractive surgery are used to treat specific eye conditions of high myopia. An alternative to traditional treatment involves using donated sclera to strength sclera in a high myopia eye. Sclera is the white part of the eyeball that extends from the cornea to the back of the eye.

Studies are still underway to determine the long-term effectiveness of this alternative surgery.

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

Is early adult-onset myopia related to astigmatism?
Astigmatism is similar to myopia. It is another vision impairment that affects your ability to see t...
How common is high myopia?
High myopia is a common cause of blindness. Rate of incidence varies between ethnic groups, with a h...
How do I prepare to see my doctor about my curvature myopia?
To help prepare for your eye doctor appointment about your curvature myopia, you may want to prepare...
What is the rate of incidence of myopia?
Myopia is a common vision impairment. It is found in approximately 25 percent of people in the Unite...