What does a music therapist do in children's hospitals?

Music therapists use music to treat pediatric patients and siblings of all ages and ability. This is done individually and in groups. Music therapists address socialization, communication, emotions, physical issues, thinking, memory, pain control, and senses.

They provide the following:
  • distraction and relaxation
  • support physical rehabilitation
  • help with learning skills, strengthening memory, and supporting learning
  • encourage empowerment and self-esteem

Continue Learning about Music Therapy

Sing for Your Health!
Sing for Your Health!
Seven-time Grammy Award winner Gladys Knight first recorded “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” in 1967. Since those early days, the indefatigable Ms. ...
What are some illnesses that music therapy can help treat?
Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MDNimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Dr. Oliver Sacks, a professor of neurology at Columbia University, brought international attenti...
Is music good for me?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Studies have shown that music stimulates the same area of the brain as food and sex. In this video, ...
What Is Music Therapy's Impact on Parkinson's Patients?