What are the health benefits of listening to slow music?

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
In the past few decades, researchers have found that slow, soothing music is generally beneficial to one's health, whereas fast, jarring music is not. Listening to calming music enhances cognitive functions such as memory, concentration and reasoning skills; even better, it boosts the immune system, lowers blood pressure, relaxes muscle tension, regulates stress hormones, elevates mood and increases endurance. Classical music and meditation music were found to deliver the most health benefits. On the other hand, irritating sounds can cause stress and therefore negatively impact your health. The composers that have been suggested to most effectively improve your quality of life are Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi and Scarlatti.

Continue Learning about Music Therapy

Sing for Your Health!
Sing for Your Health!
Seven-time Grammy Award winner Gladys Knight first recorded “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” in 1967. Since those early days, the indefatigable Ms. ...
Is music good for me?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Studies have shown that music stimulates the same area of the brain as food and sex. In this video, ...
What does a music therapist do in children's hospitals?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Music therapists use music to treat pediatric patients and siblings of all ages and ability. Thi...
Music Builds Brain Power
Music Builds Brain Power