How can music help patients?

In a recent study from the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, heart-attack survivors in a hospital ward said they felt less anxious immediately after listening to classical music. This change was reflected in their bodies as their heart rates slowed from an average of 79 beats per minute to 71, and the average number of breaths they took dropped from 17 to 16 per minute. They also showed an increase in something called "heart-rate variability," a sign that their hearts were growing stronger and more flexible.

When you're under stress, your body releases epinephrine, norepinephrine, and other compounds that set your heart racing and increase the risk of complications. Researchers in this study believed the music distracted patients from their fears and focused their minds on something more soothing than memories of the heart attack.

Continue Learning about Music Therapy

Sing for Your Health!
Sing for Your Health!
Seven-time Grammy Award winner Gladys Knight first recorded “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” in 1967. Since those early days, the indefatigable Ms. ...
What is music therapy?
Trident Medical Center Trident Medical Center
Music therapy can be used to help patients cope with stressful or traumatic events. In this video, m...
How can music benefit my health?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Studies show that listening to classical music, in addition to providing personal enjoyment, helps h...
What Is Music Therapy's Impact on Parkinson's Patients?