Advertisement

What is myotonic dystrophy?

Myotonic dystrophy is a form of muscular dystrophy in which muscles grow weaker over time because they cannot relax normally after they contract. It is the most common form of adult-onset muscular dystrophy and may be the most common overall among the group of disorders referred to as muscular dystrophy.
There are two types of myotonic dystrophy: type 1, which accounts for about 98 percent of all cases, and type 2, which accounts for the other 2 percent. The signs and symptoms of type 2 are often less severe than those of type 1.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
More Answers
How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...
More Answers
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
More Answers
How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.