What increases my risk for muscular dystrophy?

Since all types of muscular dystrophy are inherited, your risk is increased by certain genetic factors. The way that the disease is passed down through genes varies depending on the specific disease. In most cases, if one or both of your parents have a type of muscular dystrophy, or in some cases are simply carriers of the mutation causing muscular dystrophy, then your risk is greatly increased. Based on patterns of inheritance, If you have any family members with the disorder, you may be at a greater risk.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...