What increases my risk for Duchenne muscular dystrophy?

Since Duchenne muscular dystrophy is inherited, your risk is increased by certain genetic factors. Males are much more commonly affected than females, so being a male increases your risk. In most cases, Duchenne muscular dystrophy is passed down through the X-chromosome from mother to son. The family member does not have to have the disorder in order to put you at risk-if they are simply carriers, meaning one of their genes has the mutation, you may be at risk. Sometimes the disease may skip a generation, so if you have any family members with the disorder, you may be at an increased risk.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...