Should I talk to my doctor about my muscular dystrophy symptoms?

If you have muscular dystrophy, you should discuss your symptoms with a neurologist.  While there are no treatments for muscular dystrophy, the neurologist may consider monitoring of your heart, lung, and swallowing function, suggest exercises or physical therapy or refer you for supportive braces which will enable you to walk independently longer, and refer you for genetic counseling.   

If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by muscular dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include weakness, a lack of coordination, or any other muscle problems. It is especially important to talk to a doctor if you are experiencing symptoms and have a family history of muscular dystrophy. Your doctor may refer you to another specialist such as a neurologist, a doctor who specializes in nerve and brain conditions.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...
What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...
How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...