Should I talk to my doctor about my muscular dystrophy symptoms?

If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by muscular dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include weakness, a lack of coordination, or any other muscle problems. It is especially important to talk to a doctor if you are experiencing symptoms and have a family history of muscular dystrophy. Your doctor may refer you to another specialist such as a neurologist, a doctor who specializes in nerve and brain conditions.

If you have muscular dystrophy, you should discuss your symptoms with a neurologist.  While there are no treatments for muscular dystrophy, the neurologist may consider monitoring of your heart, lung, and swallowing function, suggest exercises or physical therapy or refer you for supportive braces which will enable you to walk independently longer, and refer you for genetic counseling.   

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is the prognosis of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The prognosis varies according to the type of muscular dystrophy (MD) and the speed of progression. ...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...