When should I see a doctor about my risk for myotonic dystrophy?

You should see a doctor if you are concerned that you may be at risk for developing myotonic dystrophy or passing it on to your child because of your family history. Your doctor can order a blood test to see if you carry the genetic defect for myotonic dystrophy. The doctor may also refer you to a genetic counselor or geneticist.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...
How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...