When should I see a doctor about my risk for myotonic dystrophy?

You should see a doctor if you are concerned that you may be at risk for developing myotonic dystrophy or passing it on to your child because of your family history. Your doctor can order a blood test to see if you carry the genetic defect for myotonic dystrophy. The doctor may also refer you to a genetic counselor or geneticist.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...
What is the prognosis of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The prognosis varies according to the type of muscular dystrophy (MD) and the speed of progression. ...