Should I talk to my doctor about my Becker's muscular dystrophy symptoms?

Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy are names for the same disorder caused by genetic mutations in the DMD gene.  If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by this disorder, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include muscle weakness that starts in the hips and shoulders and gradually spreads to affect the ability to walk. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you're experiencing symptoms and have a family history of this disorder. Since the symptoms of Duchenne or Becker muscular dystrophy are so similar to those of other disorders, it's important to have a doctor diagnose the disease so you can get the best treatment possible for your condition.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...