Should I talk to my doctor about my Becker's muscular dystrophy symptoms?

Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy are names for the same disorder caused by genetic mutations in the DMD gene.  If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by this disorder, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include muscle weakness that starts in the hips and shoulders and gradually spreads to affect the ability to walk. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you're experiencing symptoms and have a family history of this disorder. Since the symptoms of Duchenne or Becker muscular dystrophy are so similar to those of other disorders, it's important to have a doctor diagnose the disease so you can get the best treatment possible for your condition.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...