How do I manage my limb-girdle muscular dystrophy on a daily basis?

Muscular dystrophy can have a major impact on your life, but there are ways you can manage the disease from day to day. It's important to follow doctors' advice regarding treatment such as physical and occupational therapy. Exercise-especially swimming-and massage may also help relieve some muscle weakness and increase range of motion. It may become necessary to use assistive devices like a scooter or wheelchair, but these devices will actually help you gain independence and may increase your energy levels. However, the disease can still be debilitating and can affect all aspects of your life, include your emotional and mental health. It's important to find ways to cope with these challenges, so joining a support group or seeking counseling may be helpful.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...