Should I see a doctor about my limb-girdle muscular dystrophy symptoms?

If you have been diagnosed with limb-girdle musculay dystrophy (LGMD) you should regularly see a neurologist.  While there are no treatments available to cure or halt the progression of muscle weakness seen in LGMD, the neurologist can assist you in developing an exercise plan and assess the need for braces which can help maintain upright posture and the ability to walk.  In addition, certain LGMDs are associated with heart or lung involvement and the neurologist can refer you to the appropriate physicians to monitor your heart and lung function.  

If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by limb-girdle muscular dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include weakness, difficulty walking or carrying things, or a waddling gait. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you're experiencing symptoms and have a family history of limb-girdle muscular dystrophy. Your doctor may refer you to another specialist such as a neurologist, a doctor who specializes in nerve and brain conditions.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...