What increases my risk for congenital myotonic dystrophy?

Since congenital myotonic dystrophy is inherited, your risk is increased by certain genetic factors. The disease is usually passed down through the mother's genes, so if she has the mutation for the disorder, the child is at a greater risk. Many times, if a child has congenital myotonic dystrophy, it's discovered that the mother has the adult-onset version of the disease, even though symptoms may be unnoticeable. In some cases, the adult-onset form of the disease can be passed to a child from a father, so if the father has the disease, the child is also at risk.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
Are there other muscular dystrophy (MD)-like conditions?
These diseases may produce symptoms that are very similar to those found in some forms of muscular d...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...