What increases my risk for congenital muscular dystrophy?

Since all types of congenital muscular dystrophy are genetic, your risk is increased by certain genetic factors. The way that the disease is passed down through genes varies depending on the specific disease. In most cases, if one or both of your parents have a type of congenital muscular dystrophy-or in some cases, it they are simply carriers of the mutation causing congenital muscular dystrophy-then your risk is greatly increased. Certain types of the disease generally affect only people of a certain ethnic background, so your heritage may also affect your risk. 

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is the prognosis of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The prognosis varies according to the type of muscular dystrophy (MD) and the speed of progression. ...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
Are there other muscular dystrophy (MD)-like conditions?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Muscular dystrophy causes progressive weakness of the muscles resulting in difficulty walking, lifti...