What increases my risk for congenital muscular dystrophy?

Since all types of congenital muscular dystrophy are genetic, your risk is increased by certain genetic factors. The way that the disease is passed down through genes varies depending on the specific disease. In most cases, if one or both of your parents have a type of congenital muscular dystrophy-or in some cases, it they are simply carriers of the mutation causing congenital muscular dystrophy-then your risk is greatly increased. Certain types of the disease generally affect only people of a certain ethnic background, so your heritage may also affect your risk. 

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is the prognosis of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The prognosis varies according to the type of muscular dystrophy (MD) and the speed of progression. ...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...
Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...