How do I manage my myotonic dystrophy on a daily basis?

Myotonic dystrophy can be managed on a daily basis using a combination of medication, physical therapy, and assistive devices. Medications are available to lessen myotonia, and if you have diabetes or mild diabetic symptoms, medication can help you control your blood sugar. Physical therapy can help keep your joints flexible and reduce contracture pain.

Devices such as braces and wheelchairs can help support weak muscles and improve mobility.

If you have sleep apnea, a nasal-continuous positive airway pressure (N-CPAP) device can help.

Eating smaller meals more often, avoiding cold liquids, and elevating the head of the bed can help if you have difficulties with eating or swallowing.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...
Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...