How do I manage my Duchenne muscular dystrophy on a daily basis?

Duchenne muscular dystrophy can have a significant impact on your life, but there are ways you can manage the disease from day to day. It's important to follow doctors' advice regarding treatment such as medication, assistive devices, and surgery. This includes regular check-ups and cardiac evaluations with your doctors at least once a year. Physical therapy, exercise, and massage may also help relieve some of the muscle weakness and may improve your range of motion. However, the disease can still affect all aspects of your life, including your emotional and mental health. It's important to find ways to cope with these challenges, so joining a support group or seeking counseling may be helpful.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...
Are there other muscular dystrophy (MD)-like conditions?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Muscular dystrophy causes progressive weakness of the muscles resulting in difficulty walking, lifti...