How do I manage my Becker's muscular dystrophy on a daily basis?

Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy are names for the same disorder caused by genetic mutations in the DMD gene.  Because this is a genetic disorder, it cannot be prevented. If you have a family history of Duchenne or Becker muscular dystrophy, genetic screening may be helpful for an early diagnosis and early treatment. These genetic tests can be performed on adults, children, and even fetuses in the womb. Once it is diagnosed, treatment may help reduce symptoms and slow the progression of the disease.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...
Are there other muscular dystrophy (MD)-like conditions?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Muscular dystrophy causes progressive weakness of the muscles resulting in difficulty walking, lifti...
What is the link between fasciculation and muscular dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy (MD) is a group of nervous system disorders that inevitably cause muscle weakness...