Should I talk to my doctor about my Duchenne muscular dystrophy symptoms?

If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by Duchenne muscular dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include muscle weakness that starts in the hips and shoulders and gradually spreads to affect the ability to walk. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you're experiencing symptoms and have a family history of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Since the symptoms of Duchenne muscular dystrophy usually progress relatively quickly and can have a significant impact on daily life, it's important to have a doctor diagnose the disease so you can get the best treatment possible.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...
Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
Are there other muscular dystrophy (MD)-like conditions?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Muscular dystrophy causes progressive weakness of the muscles resulting in difficulty walking, lifti...
How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...