Should I talk to my doctor about my Duchenne muscular dystrophy symptoms?

If you or your child are experiencing symptoms that could be caused by Duchenne muscular dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor. These symptoms may include muscle weakness that starts in the hips and shoulders and gradually spreads to affect the ability to walk. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you're experiencing symptoms and have a family history of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Since the symptoms of Duchenne muscular dystrophy usually progress relatively quickly and can have a significant impact on daily life, it's important to have a doctor diagnose the disease so you can get the best treatment possible.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How does muscular dystrophy (MD) affect muscles?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscles are made up of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is actually a number of individual cel...
How quickly does muscular dystrophy progress?
The symptoms of all types of muscular dystrophy progress and worsen over time, but the progression d...
What is the prognosis of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
The prognosis varies according to the type of muscular dystrophy (MD) and the speed of progression. ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...