Should I talk to a doctor about congenital myotonic dystrophy symptoms?

If your child is experiencing symptoms that could be caused by congenital myotonic dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor right away. These symptoms may include a "floppy" look due to lack of muscle tone, difficulty breathing, and problems swallowing. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you notice symptoms in your child and have a family history of congenital myotonic dystrophy. An early diagnosis is crucial for your child's development.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

What is muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 genetic diseases that cause progressive we...
Is muscular dystrophy life-threatening?
Depending on the type of muscular dystrophy, the disease can be life-threatening. Most of the time, ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
Are there other muscular dystrophy (MD)-like conditions?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Muscular dystrophy causes progressive weakness of the muscles resulting in difficulty walking, lifti...