Should I talk to a doctor about congenital myotonic dystrophy symptoms?

If your child is experiencing symptoms that could be caused by congenital myotonic dystrophy, you should talk to your doctor right away. These symptoms may include a "floppy" look due to lack of muscle tone, difficulty breathing, and problems swallowing. It's especially important to talk to a doctor if you notice symptoms in your child and have a family history of congenital myotonic dystrophy. An early diagnosis is crucial for your child's development.

Continue Learning about Muscular Dystrophy

How many people are affected with muscular dystrophy (MD)?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Muscular dystrophy (MD) occurs worldwide, affecting all races. Its incidence varies, as some forms a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with muscular dystrophy?
When caring for someone with muscular dystrophy, it's important to remember that the disease impacts...
What is the prognosis of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
The prognosis varies according to the type of muscular dystrophy (MD) and the speed of progression. ...
What are the different types of muscular dystrophy (MD)?
There are a number of different types of muscular dystrophy, each with different symptoms, causes, p...