What should seniors know before using Synvisc Hylan G-F?

After Synvisc injections, you should avoid strenuous activity (such as tennis or jogging) for 48 hours. If you feel nausea or vomiting or any signs of an allergic response, get professional help immediately. Pain relief is typically not immediate; most patients experience the highest relief after 8 to 12 weeks.

Synvisc Hylan G-F is a medication that is used when other treatments for osteoarthritis have not been successful.  There are other treatments that may be effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis that should be tried before trying this medication. 

Prior to considering this injection, you should consult with your care provider and let them know if you have a history of blood clots or circulation problems in your legs, allergies to the medication or egg products, and allergies to birds or feathers. If there is a question of infection in the area where the injection will occur, do not get this injection. Also, let your care provider know of all the prescriptions, vitamins and supplements you are taking prior to making the decision to have this treatment. 

Treatment is a series of 3 injections given every week for 3 weeks. During the treatment time, you need to refrain from strenuous activity, running, jogging, or any other type of high impact activity. You should limit your standing and weight bearing activity to less than 1 hour at a time. 

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
What should I know about baclofen before taking it?
If you take baclofen, you should avoid alcohol. If you have impaired kidney function, baclofen may ...
How do hyaluronic acid injections help treat arthritis?
Dr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MDDr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MD
Side effects of hyaluronic acid injections for arthritis include: increased risk of pain infecti...
How effective is leflunomide?
Studies show that leflunomide is effective for treating RA, both by itself and combined with methotr...