What should I know about Flexeril before taking it?

Before you start taking the muscle relaxant Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), you should know that it can make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how Flexeril affects you. If you are 65 years of age or older, you should know that you're at higher risk of side effects from this drug. Your doctor may start you on a relatively low dose or suggest a different medication entirely -- there may be other drugs that would be safer and more effective for you. Flexeril should not be used in children or teens under age 15, as there have been no studies to show that it is safe or effective in this group.

To lower the risk of side effects, you should also know that you shouldn't drink alcohol while you're taking this drug, because Flexeril can increase alcohol's effects on judgment, thinking and motor skills. You should give your doctor a complete picture of your medical history and a list of all your other drugs (prescription and over-the-counter), supplements and other remedies because a number of conditions and medications can raise the risk of side effects from Flexeril.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat fibromyalgia?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It can reduce fibromyalgia pain and fatigue and improv...
How does leflunomide interact with other medications and foods?
People taking leflunomide should avoid receiving live vaccines. If you are taking an immunosuppress...
What is cyclobenzaprine?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxer. It is FDA-approved to treat muscle spasms and pain caus...
How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...