What should I know before using Botox?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Botox, also referred to as onabotulinumtoxin A, is used for intramuscular, intradermal, and intradetrusor injection. The indications include: cosmetic (reduction of lines and wrinkles), treatment for urinary incontinence, migraines, axillary hyperhidrosis, blepharospasm, strabismus, upper limb spasticity. The effects of Botox toxin and products may migrate from the original injection site leading to generalized muscle weakness, blurred vision, ptosis, dysphagia, and difficult breathing. Fatal symptoms of difficulty swallowing and breathing require immediate medical attention.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat lower back pain?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It is a treatment option for people who have muscle sp...
Is Synvisc a good alternative to joint replacement?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Synvisc is not generally an alternative to joint replacement in people with very advanced knee osteo...
Does teriflunomide have any side effects?
Teriflunomide stays active in a person's body for several days after it is taken and can stay in the...