What should I know before taking teriflunomide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start treatment.

If you take teriflunomide, you should avoid drinking alcohol.

If you have severe immunodeficiency, teriflunomide increases your risk for severe infections and should be avoided.

If you have severe liver function impairment, you should not take teriflunomide.

Teriflunomide increases susceptibility to infections. If you tend to have frequent or severe infections, teriflunomide should be avoided.

If you have bone marrow disease, teriflunomide increases your risk for severe infections and should be avoided.

If you are pregnant, or think you may be pregnant, you should not take teriflunomide.

If you are breastfeeding, teriflunomide may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

Does teriflunomide have any side effects?
Teriflunomide stays active in a person's body for several days after it is taken and can stay in the...
What is leflunomide?
Leflunomide (Arava) is a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) that affects the immune system...
How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat lower back pain?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It is a treatment option for people who have muscle sp...
How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...