What is probenecid and colchicine?

Probenecid-colchicine is a prescription combination medication used to treat gout and gouty arthritis, caused by a buildup of uric acid in the joints. The two drugs work together to help prevent gout, though not to treat existing diseases. Probenecid triggers the body to eliminate uric acid through the urine. Colchicine prevents the inflammatory response to the uric acid crystals in the joints.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...
How effective is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide reduces relapses by about 30% in people with remitting-relapsing MS. It is about as ef...
How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
Does teriflunomide interact with any other medications?
If you are taking denosumab, teriflunomide may not be a good option for you. If you are taking fing...