What is a denosumab injection?

Denosumab is the name of the active ingredient in two brand name products, Prolia and Xgeva. Prolia, denosumab 60 mg./ml., is used to treat osteoporosis in postmenopausal women who have a high risk of bone fracture. Prolia is administered by the doctor by injection every six months. Xgeva, denosumab 120 mg./1.7 ml., is used to prevent fractures in patients with solid tumors and bone metastases. Xgeva is administered once every four weeks. Denosumab is a monoclonal antibody that neutralizes the activity of molecules that are vital to the production of osteoclasts, which are responsible for breaking down bone. Fewer osteoclasts result in stronger bones and decreased risk of fracture.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

Should I worry about allergies with Botox?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
According to Allergan pharmaceuticals, serious and immediate allergic reactions have been reported. ...
What should I know before taking teriflunomide?
Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start trea...
Is Synvisc a good alternative to joint replacement?
Keith Roach, MDKeith Roach, MD
Synvisc is not generally an alternative to joint replacement in people with very advanced knee osteo...
What are the side effects of cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and dry mouth. Cyclobenzaprine c...