What is Dantrium IV?

Dantrium IV is a type of an injected muscle relaxant that is used to lower body temperature, particularly in the instance of a life-threatening condition called malignant hyperthermia, which arises when surgery or general anesthetics cause a rapid rise in body temperature. Dantrium IV can be administered before or after a surgery if someone seems to be at risk for malignant hyperthermia and it is also administered as soon as someone displays signs of the condition. Characteristic signs of malignant hyperthermia include elevated heart rate, quick breathing, hypercarbia (excessive amounts of carbon dioxide in the blood), fever, mottling of the skin, or tightening of skeletal muscles. Dantrium IV helps maintain a healthy level of calcium in the muscles, which helps lower body temperature.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How effective is leflunomide?
Studies show that leflunomide is effective for treating RA, both by itself and combined with methotr...
Can Botox affect my emotional reactions?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Scientists believe that facial expressions may influence our emotions, meaning that those whose face...
Should I worry about allergies with Botox?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
According to Allergan pharmaceuticals, serious and immediate allergic reactions have been reported. ...
What is baclofen?
Baclofen (Lioresal) may help some people with acid reflux that does not improve with other drug trea...