What is cyclobenzaprine?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxer. It is FDA-approved to treat muscle spasms and pain caused by acute musculoskeletal conditions. It has been studied and used to treat chronic low back pain and fibromyalgia, especially when muscle spasms flare up. For fibromyalgia it is often taken at bedtime. It should not be used for more than 2 or 3 weeks. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What should I know before taking teriflunomide?
Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start trea...
How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat lower back pain?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It is a treatment option for people who have muscle sp...
Could I be allergic to denosumab?
Some people are allergic to denosumab, a medicine used to treat thinning and weakening bones (known ...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...