What is baclofen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Baclofen (Lioresal) may help some people with acid reflux that does not improve with other drug treatments. It prevents relaxation of the lower end of the esophagus, which reduces episodes of reflux. However, baclofen has not been approved by the FDA for treatment of acid reflux, and its side effects may limit its use. Guidelines recommend diagnostic testing before this drug is prescribed. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What is Botox used for?
While Botox is famous for smoothing out frown lines and crow's feet, its power to temporarily paraly...
What should I know before taking teriflunomide?
Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start trea...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...
How effective is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide reduces relapses by about 30% in people with remitting-relapsing MS. It is about as ef...