What is abobotulinumtoxinA?

AbobotulinumtoxinA, sold under the brand name Dysport, is a prescription drug used to ease the symptoms of cervical dystonia. Cervical dystonia is a disorder in which people experience uncontrollable muscle spasms in the neck, causing pain and unnatural head positions. AbobotulinumtoxinA can also be used to temporarily get rid of wrinkles between the eyebrows that develop as a result of aging. It belongs to a class of drugs known as neurotoxins. AbobotulinumtoxinA blocks nerve signals responsible for muscle movement, thereby paralyzing the targeted muscle. AbobotulinumtoxinA is typically given as an injection by a doctor. Since abobotulinumtoxinA is a "biologic" medication, generic versions of the drug cannot legally be made at this time.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How does leflunomide interact with other medications and foods?
People taking leflunomide should avoid receiving live vaccines. If you are taking an immunosuppress...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...
What is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide (Aubagio) is a disease-modifying drug for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (MS)....
What should I know before taking teriflunomide?
Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start trea...