What are colchicine tablets?

Colchicine tablets, sold under the brand name Colcrys or Colsalide, are used in one of two ways: either in regularly small doses to prevent attacks of gout or in large doses to treat an attack once it has begun. Colchicine works to reduce swelling and the buildup of the crystals of uric acid that lead to joint pain. Although approved to treat gout, colchicine tablets are sometimes used for other approved or off-label treatment or other diseases, including familial Mediterranean fever, amyloidosis, sarcoid arthritis, cirrhosis of the liver, pseudogout, Behcet's syndrome and pericarditis. Colchicine is not a pain medication and should not be used in place of a pain reliever.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

Should I worry about allergies with Botox?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
According to Allergan pharmaceuticals, serious and immediate allergic reactions have been reported. ...
How effective is leflunomide?
Studies show that leflunomide is effective for treating RA, both by itself and combined with methotr...
How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
Does teriflunomide have any side effects?
Teriflunomide stays active in a person's body for several days after it is taken and can stay in the...