Are there any risks in taking allopurinol?

The risks associated with taking allopurinol include causing your gout attacks to get worse before they get better. Allopurinol also can interact with other medications, altering the effectiveness of both allopurinol and the other medications. Talk to your doctor about what medications you currently take, and do not take additional medications without first discussing them with your doctor. Allopurinol can make you drowsy, which may adversely affect your ability to drive a vehicle or operate machinery.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How effective is leflunomide?
Studies show that leflunomide is effective for treating RA, both by itself and combined with methotr...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...
What is cyclobenzaprine?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxer. It is FDA-approved to treat muscle spasms and pain caus...
What should I know about baclofen before taking it?
If you take baclofen, you should avoid alcohol. If you have impaired kidney function, baclofen may ...