What should I know about tizanidine before taking it?

You should not take tizanidine if you are allergic to it, or if you are taking fluvoxamine (Luvox) or ciprofloxacin (Cipro). Tell your doctor if you have any allergies to food, drugs or supplements or if you have liver or kidney disease, high or low blood pressure or any heart problems. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.  You should know that tizanidine (Zanaflex) can cause drowsiness and should not be taken if you are going to drive or operate machinery. Tizanidine can also cause low blood pressure which can make you feel lightheaded, dizzy and drowsy. Because this medication can make you dizzy, you should be very careful when standing up from a sitting or lying position. Tizanidine may have to be reduced if you have a liver or kidney disorder. You should report any side effects immediately to your doctor. When taking oral birth control, you may need to take a reduced dose of tizanidine because the contraceptive increases its effects. Alcohol will increase the drowsiness effects of tizanidine and should be avoided. Because tizanidine can cause dependency, suddenly discontinuing this medication can cause withdrawal symptoms. Take this medication with a full glass of water. You should not take more than 36 mg. of tizanidine in a 24-hour period. Tizanidine comes as a tablet and a capsule to take by mouth. It is usually taken consistently either always with or always without food two or three times a day. The medication in the capsule is absorbed differently by the body than the medication in the tablet, so one product cannot be substituted for the other.  Follow your doctor's instructions for when to take this medicine and whether you should take it with food. Certain drugs can interact with tizanidine, so be sure to tell your doctor about any medication, vitamins or supplements you are taking.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What is leflunomide?
Leflunomide (Arava) is a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) that affects the immune system...
How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
How does baclofen interact with other medications?
If you are using azelastine nasal spray, paraldehyde, orphenadrine, or thalidomide, baclofen can lea...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...