What should I know about Allopurinol before taking it?

Allopurinol may increase the number of gout attacks you experience when you first begin taking the medication. Your doctor may prescribe another medication, such as colchicine, to help manage your acute gout attacks during the first month you take allopurinol. When taken regularly for several months, allopurinol may help relieve symptoms and reduce your risk for a future attack. However, you must continue taking allopurinol to help ensure these benefits. If you stop regularly taking allopurinol, your risk of experiencing both a gout attack and escalating levels of uric acid in your body will increase.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What are the side effects of cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?
Side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, and dry mouth. Cyclobenzaprine c...
Should I worry about allergies with Botox?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
According to Allergan pharmaceuticals, serious and immediate allergic reactions have been reported. ...
How effective is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide reduces relapses by about 30% in people with remitting-relapsing MS. It is about as ef...
Does teriflunomide have any side effects?
Teriflunomide stays active in a person's body for several days after it is taken and can stay in the...