What should I know about Allopurinol before taking it?

Allopurinol may increase the number of gout attacks you experience when you first begin taking the medication. Your doctor may prescribe another medication, such as colchicine, to help manage your acute gout attacks during the first month you take allopurinol. When taken regularly for several months, allopurinol may help relieve symptoms and reduce your risk for a future attack. However, you must continue taking allopurinol to help ensure these benefits. If you stop regularly taking allopurinol, your risk of experiencing both a gout attack and escalating levels of uric acid in your body will increase.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What are the side effects of leflunomide?
Side effects may include high blood pressure, dizziness, hair loss, respiratory tract infections, br...
What are the side effects of baclofen?
Side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, general weakness, and fatigue. Baclofen can make it ...
How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat lower back pain?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It is a treatment option for people who have muscle sp...
Could I be allergic to denosumab?
Some people are allergic to denosumab, a medicine used to treat thinning and weakening bones (known ...